Top Banner

Free Catalog

Follow Us

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Dust retention on router based planer jig

dunbar20 created the topic: Dust retention on router based planer jig

Hi I am a home woodworker based in Northern Ireland and I have learned so much from Colin Knecht's Utube presentations. I do not have the resources to buy major machines and I have built a table saw and router table. Now I have some pallet boards and I needed a planer to clean and flatten them. I have built a six foot jig base on which the board is clamped with cams to accomodate small bows and twists. The bridge or carrier for the router runs above the jig to mill the surfsace. It is very good in cleaning and flattening but so very dirty. About 80% of the dust and chips are shot all round my workshop. I have now taken measures to contain the problem. I bought several strips if draft excluding brushes. It was tricky getting the brush strips in the right position and avoiding the guiding surfaces. I have done it and now I retain about 80% of the dust and chips. I shall attempt to post some photos in a separate post but this may take some time as computer technology is required. Regards Colin Farrier

dunbar20 replied the topic: Dust retention on router based planer jig

Pictures of router based planer jig

Attachments:

Attachments:

Attachments:

colin replied the topic: Dust retention on router based planer jig

This is a very well though out set-up Colin, thanks for sharing this. I really like the idea of the dust control which is one of the big problems with router based planing ... chips and sawdust everywhere!!

Thanks again

Colin, thank you for your kind comments. regards Colin Farrier