Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Dust Collection duct work layout

• Ripper
  • Ripper's Avatar Topic Author

Ripper replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

Thanks Tweitt. That's a big help on grounding the pipe. I was thinking about running 6" for my main run and I think it should be all I need.

colin replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

Wow, Tweitt, you have a serious dust collection set-up. 5hp and 8" Pvc main, that's some real dust collecting.
I must say I have good chuckle at your other innovation too!! ... sucking rag with a string on it down your Pvc to then use to pull bare wire through, that is brilliant :)

Am I hearing correctly that you built your own dust collector?? that is how I read your note. If you have, I would really love details on what you did. Posting pics would be pretty interesting to the rest of us too.

Colin
  • Ripper
  • Ripper's Avatar Topic Author

Ripper replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

Colin wrote: .... If you have, I would really love details on what you did. Posting pics would be pretty interesting to the rest of us too.

Colin

Me too! I would love to see the pics.

I have pulled network cabling the same way but using a balloon. Just blow it up where it fits loosely in the pipe and use a shop vac on the other end. It helps to put a little oil on the balloon so it will slide better. Knew a guy who had a cabling business and he said that he would use a remote control truck to run cable across drop ceilings in some of the big stores he wired..lol...
  • tewitt1949

tewitt1949 replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

I double checked today and I mispoke. My main trunk lines are 6 inch pvc not 8 inch.
  • tewitt1949

tewitt1949 replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

Sorry the pictures aren't the best and don't show everything.
I don't have any pictures of the inside of the blower. I laminated several layers of 3/4" plywood which is cut out to make room for the fan blades to spin. The fan blade is a 1" shaft with 6-8 sheet metal paddles fastened to it. It spins inside the plywood box sucking air from inside the big 2' x 4' x 8' box which collects the chips. I have a removable door on the bottom/side of the collector of the collector that I can use to clean out the box. The chip collector is under vaccum when the blower is rubbing. My 6" main tube fastens to the top of the collector box, therefore sucking chips from the main pipes. The exit pipe from the blower I have ducted to the outside the building. If the box gets full, any chips are blown outside. If you have questions, just ask.

colin replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

Yeah ... I think I get the drift of what you are doing. I'm impressed someone would go ahead and make some kind of a dust collecting apparatus. What's neat with this, if it seems like it could work better by doing some tweaking ... you can do that.

Can you tell us how your unit is working for you?? Are you happy with the results?

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+