Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Dust Collection duct work layout

• tewitt1949

tewitt1949 replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

I made it about 15+ years ago and haven't had any problems except once and while I'd get a clog but only when planing a 12" board with lots of chips. To simplefy cleaning out clogs I took a 4" hole saw and drill holes along the main trunk to get access to the clog. Then I'd take a short length of 6" main trunk pipe and slit it long ways, spread it and fit it over the hole. Then just slide it over to get access to the hole again next time.
You might not be able to follow the air flow, but chips come from the machine, up the tube to the main trunk, into the top of the big 2x4x8 box, chips fall to the bottom. Air flow continues to the other side of the box to the inlet of the blower which is mounted to the upper side of the box. From there the discharge goes out to the outside of the building carring dust and a few chip when the box is full.
The fan blades/paddles are maybe 6"wide X 8"tall. I don't remember for sure.
Anyways yes, I'm very happy with it.
  • Ripper
  • Ripper's Avatar Topic Author

Ripper replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

Wow, now thats a dust collector. Maybe I missed it in the pictures but I don't see where the main line runs into the box but I think I understand how it works. I really like the idea of the sliding access to the clean outs but, do you lose any suction or does it seal pretty good? If it works well I might look into it myself. With 5hp though, I wouldn't doubt that you could just leave the holes open and not notice the difference... :lol:
  • tewitt1949

tewitt1949 replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

The slide pieces of pvc work great. They snap right on and fit real tight. No vacuum loss at all.
  • Ripper
  • Ripper's Avatar Topic Author

Ripper replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

Well, its been a while but, I have most of my dust collection installed. I ended up using 4” PVC because parts and pieces are readily available at the box stores. I guess 6” is just not used in construction that much because what little the stores had in stock they were trying to get rid of because they were going to stop carrying it. Anyway, ran the PVC behind the machines a few inches off the floor and just put in a Y to branch off to each machine. I really doubt it will make a difference but I mounted the far end of the pipe about 5” higher that the end that connected to the DC just to give it a little bit of a gravity drop. I put a T in to run the pipe up and over to the table saw. Everything I have connected so far has a 4” dust port (band saw, jointer, planer and table saw) so it was a pretty straight forward install. My radial arm saw and router table are 2” so I will have to put in an 4” to 2” connector but that should be any big deal. As far as connecting the pipe together, it’s a pretty tight fit as it is so I just hammered them together pretty good and wrapped them with duck tape. I wanted to be able to rearrange later if needed so I didn’t want to glue the connections.

I haven’t been in the shop too much lately so I haven’t used it enough to get a true feel but, from what little I have, it works great. I am excited about not having to spend a lot of my time cleaning up after and during each project. I will get some pics of it and post them before too long.

Man, it’s really cool though to almost feel like a real wood worker! :woohoo: . If you saw my shop at least it would look like I know what I am doing! :laugh: :laugh: :P

Rip

LyallAndSons replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

Ripper,
Its a good idea not to glue all your connections. If you get a clog, just pull it apart, clean it out, and slip it back together again. If its all glued, well..get out the hacksaw! LOL! I tape mine but never glue unless I have several fitting within inches of each other. Most clogs will come from the planer or jointer so make that your straightest run if you can. Also, it will hardly ever clog in a straight piece but any sharp 90's will prove a pain on the planner branch.

Shane

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+