Free Catalog

Follow Us

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Dust Collection duct work layout

• Ripper
  • Ripper's Avatar Topic Author

Ripper created the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

As far as laying out the duct work for your dust collection system, is there a simplistic way to determine the size pipe you need for your main run? I’m thinking that the size of the pipe from the main run to each tool is determined by the size of the connection on the tool itself :unsure: . Basically just want to know if there is some rule of thumb you can use other that the calculations you are supposed to use by using the cpm of your dust collector and the requirements of the tool then dividing by your shoe size multiplied by the number of cuss words you use trying to figure all this stuff out. :blink:

I am looking at a 2hp collector so I think that should give me plenty of suction for my small shop.

colin replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

I would love to have a 2hp ... if you find a way of laying out the duct work, let us know. Dust collection is not on my window or knowledge so anything you guys hand help me with is greatly appreciated :)

Colin
  • Ripper

Ripper replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

Well, I have learned a lot from just looking around and talking to other people. My very uneducated deduction is that your main run should be the same size as your biggest tool duct port at the least. My biggest dust port is 4” but I am thinking about going with 6” which I am hoping would allow me to run more than one tool at a time if I ever had the need. It may not be the best way to figure things but I think it would pretty much be where I would end up even if I went through all of the calculations.

Other considerations are to keep angles to a minimum since they create drag and reduce suction (use Y connectors instead of T connectors, don’t use 90 degree elbows the bigger the radius the better…). I had thought about running my main run behind all of my machines and tapping into it to connect to each tool along the way but, I would end up with two or three corners to make so, I may just run it over head down the middle of the shop and branch off from there. But, then you have to consider that you have to pull all of your chips and dust up to the ceiling then across the room and down to the collector…. Heck, I don’t know which way to go on that one yet.

I was also wondering if you can use just plain PVC pipe or if you had to have some really expensive specialty duct work and it turns out you can use just about any type you want but, it does have to be ridged enough to hold its shape and not collapse when the collector is pulling. It also needs to be smooth walled on the inside to reduce friction keep the dust from collecting in the crevices and you need to be able to connect pieces and seal it as air tight as possible to avoid losing suction along the way. As far as metal vs. PVC, metal is easier to ground which I think is pretty important to keep static electricity from becoming a big problem with all of the fine dust in the air. From what I have found so far, you need to run wire through the length of PVC duct work but you can ground the metal duct from just a couple of points along the way (don’t quote me on that though).

I am still working on the different blast gates, reducers, flexible pipe, clean outs, etc, but half the fun is getting to look through all of the wood working material you can find.

Oh, and I now have a 2hp dust collector and a 17" band saw! I am flat broke now but, I have some pretty fun stuff to play with. lol...

colin replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

Yikes, you really have been educating yourself, thanks for sharing your knowledge and for netting it into a quick readable format. Everything you talk about makes a lot of sense and I can see that the planning is key ... can't just jump in a do it, you really need to think things through.
I'm curious, what brand of bandsaw did you end up getting? and how do you like it? I always like to hear other peoples impressions.

Thanks Rip ...

Colin
  • Ripper

Ripper replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

I picked up a Grizzly G0513p 17” 2hp band saw and a Grizzly G1029Z2P 2hp dust collector (and walked out with barely enough money to buy lunch a McDonalds on the way home! :) ). I got lucky on the dust collector because they had one in the scratched and dented area so I got it for a heck of a deal.

I set the duct collector up just to play and it I’m sure it will be more than enough for my needs. The band saw is still in the back of the truck. It weighs about 350lbs and being so big it will take a couple of people to unload it. I have back problems and know better than to try it myself but my son and one if his buddies are coming over tonight to unload it for me. Can’t wait to start playing with it. One of the reasons for such a big band saw is that I have always wanted to try my hand at making my own lumber and I also wanted something that I could resaw wider pieces of lumber with. It has a cutting height of 12 1/8” so I can run a good sized log through it as well as resawing wider boards than I can currently with my 14” band saw. I have a couple of oak trees in my yard that didn’t make it through the summer that will be my first victims for cutting lumber. :evil: ..lol

I will post more once I get it up and running and see how well things go. Now.... back to saving my milk money and pocket change for maybe a drill press or something next year. One piece at a time...

tewitt1949 replied the topic: Dust Collection duct work layout

I am not an expert at dust collection systems, but I did design mine and layed it out after some investagating. I used 8" PVC with 4" drop pipes from the ceiling. I even made the dust collector completely so I can't tell you what it is rated at. I do have a 5hp (over kill) motor on it only because thats the only motor I had that had plenty HP. I do think my 8" is a little over kill in size and I could have gotten by with 6 inch.
One thing I can say about PVC is I'd highly recommond running a wire through the pipe and grounding it good at both ends!!! I had a piece of flexable hose like dryer vent hose with a circular coil wire molded in it from planner to the PVC drop pipe coming from the ceiling. When sucking dust I had static sparks jumping from that flex to my planner that was jumping about 1 inch (no exaggeration). After seeing that I ran a bare wire through the PVC and grounded my planner to my vac. I did that by sucking a rag with a string on it through the system. Then tied a small wire to the string and pulled the wire through using the string. Worked and works good. No more sparks. Good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ripper