Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Floating shelf brace and Jigsaw vs Circular saw

kish254 created the topic: Floating shelf brace and Jigsaw vs Circular saw

Hi Y'all

1st off thank you to the woodworkweb admin for adding me to this site. I'm very new to woodworking n thinking of picking it up as a new skill. my first project is to make my own platform bed. i have the design with a "floating" shelf(see pic). Question is what kind of brace would i use to attach it to the bed,preferably on the underside, without any visible bolts n such on the topside.
And also looking to purchase a power saw, which would u recommend?
Attachments:

Derek replied the topic: Floating shelf brace and Jigsaw vs Circular saw

Hi Kish and welcome to the Web !

This is a real challenge for sure. You will need something removable for disassembly to enable you to move the bed if there is need but also makes a strong connection when assembled.

If I am seeing this in the proper perspective, I would say Two pieces of bracing from the bed across to the side piece could be a choice if the floor is fairly level.
There are other methods that you can consider but most would have to be a combination of joinery. Choices are Biscuits and strapping, Dowels and strapping and possibly pocket holes and strapping. One other combination comes to mind and that is tongue and groove which is only in the middle section of the two mating surfaces but does not go all the way across them as it would show on the ends and strapping of course.
As you have probable figured out by now is that to align the two edges there should be some form of joinery that allows them to be flush with each other and no joinery can be seen. The strapping or braces underneath, should be utilized to keep the joint together as well as adding some strength to the joint.

As for my own choice on this I would go with dowels and braces. I don't know what you have for tools but as long as you have a drill, you can use this method and see success for the look you are after. Just an after thought, make sure the holes for the dowels are exactly in the right places ! It will make or break the joint.
I hope this helps in your decision and I hope you post some pics of the build as you move through it as well as the finished project.

Derek
The following user(s) said Thank You: kish254

Hi again,

I forgot the second question you asked. I'm brain dead some mornings if I don't have enough coffee in my system.... LOL

I would say a jig saw gives you more versatility between the two because it can cover the uses of a circular saw/skill saw and much more like internal holes and following a curved shape.

That's my two cents on it. B)

Derek
The following user(s) said Thank You: kish254

kish254 replied the topic: Floating shelf brace and Jigsaw vs Circular saw

Would you have a pictorial representation of the brace u suggesting. iv been scratching my head over the whole thing. i came up with this ; so there would be a fixed plate(not in photo) with 3 welded nuts reaching 1" together to it to align with the two holes of the brace so it is easily bolted on and off when need be.. problem is that the space is only 1 inch so it won't fit.

About the jigsaw i was thinking the same but i don't have any tools yet though have a wishlist on Amazon.com for a cordless drill 20v + jigsaw 5.0 Amp, both Black and Decker, and a Kreg R3 Jr. jig.
Attachments:

What you have thought up yourself would work very well but it is still necessary to have dowels to provide maximum joint alignment and strength where those two components come together.

Ok, I would suggest that you keep the plate but make it as long as is possible but still hidden from view. Keep the attachment method you have for the plate onto the head board and instead of any bolts along the joint, just have several screws on each side.
You should have several dowels along the joint where these two pieces meet and this is to both align and help spread the weight of the outside piece back through the joint and into the bed frame. You have quite a bit of weight to support over a fairly long distance ( this is known as a cantilever ) and depending on how much that outside piece actually weighs this may not be even be possible to achieve enough support.

I think your idea is great but I do think that you should have two outside legs with adjusters on the bottom of them to take up most of the weight and help level the two pieces. That or you will have to change your design quite a bit.

I will leave it here and give you a chance to think about this a bit more. I really like your design and the hidden joinery. It just needs a few tweaks to make sure you have the support needed for the table extension. With all that said, this is just my opinion and I'm trying to help you out with a great project
idea and very limited tools. Between us, I think we have a workable solution in this but it's your call in the end. Even if you were to make that whole extension one long piece that attached to the bed frame you still have to deal with that outside weight. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Derek

kish254 replied the topic: Floating shelf brace and Jigsaw vs Circular saw

Been thinking of legs under the shelves(placed away from easy sight but near the center)as these will remove the issue of the brace holding the shelf weight so i don't think id need the dowels. As for the 1 inch space allowance it seems il have to change the brace design. Will have a design for u tomorrow.

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+