Top Banner

Free Catalog

Follow Us

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

When to moisten fibers on wood when using glue?

colin replied the topic: When to moisten fibers on wood when using glue?

OK ... seriously now :) here goes .....
I talked about the moisture with poly glues, then never made any mention of how much, what to do with hardwood ... softwood, Sheesh I really did an half job, so thanks for asking those details they ARE important.

Well, the simple answer is actually pretty easy, doesn't matter as per the hardwood or softwood and all you are doing is adding a bit of an activator for the glue to make it bond a bit better. So all you need to do, is with a damp cloth, or even just rub a bit of water on the bonding area with your finger, just to make it moist, there does not want to be standing water, only moist wood, and if you do that, you should get a good bond.

Derek replied the topic: When to moisten fibers on wood when using glue?

Hey Gents,

I have been browsing through the forum threads and I came across this topic. If it helps Bill, Titebond 3 also has been formulated to be water resistant which makes it my "go too" glue for outdoor applications such Furniture as well as Butcher Block Counters, cutting boards etc. It is a very strong and versatile glue..... no water added...... sorry that just came out.
Just my 2 cents

Derek
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillTheBuilder

BillTheBuilder replied the topic: When to moisten fibers on wood when using glue?

By all means I do very much appreciate input from anyone. :) Intersting on the water resisting part. Some use a FDA approved coating on butcher cks not sure what it is?

The finish used for cutting boards and butcher blocks are food safe finishes such as Walnut Oil and Tung Oil. This type of finish is made specifically for use on any wood item used in the prep or serving of food. You must be careful when purchasing these finishes as they come in different formulations for use on/in other applications. Look for Suitable as"food Safe" applications.

Cheers Bill,

Derek
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillTheBuilder

BillTheBuilder replied the topic: When to moisten fibers on wood when using glue?

Interesting you say walnut as I posted a topic on homemade walnut. Wander if that would to potent for a "food safe" project?

Actually Bill, no. The whole refinement process for making Walnut oil food safe is the need to remove all of the protein found in raw Walnut oil. I do not recall if there are other elements in the raw oil that are removed or rendered inert through the processing to make it food safe but the protein aspect stuck with me. Even with the processing of the oil you still have to consider allergies people may have to Walnut/Walnuts. I always ask people before I get too far along in the project so they can decide which finish they want.