Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

When to moisten fibers on wood when using glue?

BillTheBuilder created the topic: When to moisten fibers on wood when using glue?

Ok this probably has already been answered here, but someone told me that for some glue-ups one has to moisten the surface of the joint about to be glued. Just wandered what variables are in play, like is this for certain species of wood? With all or just some glues? Just a good topic for discussion.

Thanks all,
Bill

P.S. Wander if Colin would make a video on this?
P.S.S. Just kidding Colin on the P.S. .

colin replied the topic: When to moisten fibers on wood when using glue?

Hey Bill ... I just happened to be on the site and saw this post, Yup, you are right, some glues will work better if the surfaces they are gluing together are moist. These are all the polyurethane glues, like Gorilla Glue, Elmers and Titebond have a version too and there are many others. They also tend to foam up when they harden so are good for filling voids in wood. These are often used for re-gluing chair legs rungs.
These glues are better for gluing end grains such as what you would encounter in making plywood cabinets. Like everything, they have drawbacks, polyurethane glues become brittle when they harden, unlike the yellow carpenters glues, some of which never really harden but stay somewhat flexible, which is what makes them so good. I'm not a huge fan of poly glues, but they definitely have their place.

I always have a small 6 or 8 oz bottle of polyurethane glue around for specific glue-ups, but don't buy it in large bottles unless you are going to use them right away, the poly glue doesn't keep well after it is exposed to air, unlike yellow carpenter's glues which keep exceedingly well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillTheBuilder

BillTheBuilder replied the topic: When to moisten fibers on wood when using glue?

Not to get into a which brandname is best debate, I use Titebond and if I am reading correctly their "Original" version is equal the good old fashion "yellow" glue of wood working? Also which version of Titebond II is the yellow glue? Is Titebond III poly glue?

Titebond has 3 versions of their yellow type glue, Original, Titebond 2 and Titebond 3. I find it hard to find the original any more, usually only see the 2 or 3 available. The main diff between them is - open time. Titebond 2 is 5 minutes while 3 is 10 minutes, which means you have a bit longer to make adjustments.
Titebond's polyurethane is simply called Titebond Polyurethane, which is nice, then you know what you are getting, and it comes in purple label tubes, so it is quite different looking than the yellow type glues.
Titebond has an extremely full line-up of glues, check out their website for more detail, never know what you might come across for future needs :)

BTW ... thanks for carrying on this Bill ... even if we don't get a lot of participation, the number of people who read these forums over time is very high, so there is value for others too .... and, who knows, maybe someone will add some detail on glues we don't know, always good to learn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillTheBuilder

BillTheBuilder replied the topic: When to moisten fibers on wood when using glue?

Your welcome Colin, agreed on the value as one can always come back if they need to remind themselves of something. What was I talking about?? Lol oh yeah. So the amount of water to use depends on how much glue will be used? What about the difference on soft and hard woods? Seriously, like your answers.

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+