Top Banner

Follow Us

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Router bit insertion

oddg241 created the topic: Router bit insertion

I am a new user of a router. I watched the video "Router Table Basic Instruction". In that video you say to lower bit to the bottom, then raise it 1/4".
I also watched "Setting up and using a router table". In that video you say to lower bit to the bottom and then raise it 1/16".
Which one is correct? 1/4" or 1/16"?

colin replied the topic: Re: Router bit insertion

Actually, either one is fine, when I am doing demonstrations or classes, I tell everyone to drop the router bit into the collett, then raise it back a 1/16 to 1/8 inch, all this is for is to accommodate any expansion that might take place in the bit when they heat up.
Glad to see you are such a keen watcher, I must make sure I am clear on those kinds of points

Colin

Glen replied the topic: Re: Router bit insertion

If you follow the shank down to the bit you will also see where the shank flares out into head of the bit. You will want to make sure that flare is above the collet so it compresses on the straight part of the shank. Otherwise you could experience lift off & that's not good.

oddg241 replied the topic: Re: Router bit insertion

Thanks for the quick reply. As a novice on routers I went with a cheap router with a 1/4" collet until I decide on a better grade of router with a 1/2" collet. The bit shaft is only 1" to start with so I was nervous about the clamping power of the collet on the shaft.

oddg241 replied the topic: Re: Router bit insertion

I examined the bit shaft to see the point where it attaches to the head. I should have mentioned I have a router with a 1/4" collet. The shaft is only 1" to start with. That is why I was concerned having just 3/4 of the length in the collet.

colin replied the topic: Re: Router bit insertion

I have never heard of seen a bit coming out of a router, I have heard of rare cases where a bit as spun in the collett when cutting hardwoods, but in your case I would still push the bit a bit further into the collett.

I just went back and looked at my note to you and I said 1/16 to 1/4 ... I meant to say 1/16 o 1/8 ... which makes more sense than skipping from 1/16 to 1/4 ... my mistake, but still you should be fine with the 1/4 but I would still move the bit deeper.
At the end of the day, all we are trying to do is to compensate for a small amount of heat build up that can happen in bits when they are chewing through the wood and the friction makes them heat up. The amount of expansion is not that great so even if the bit were tight in the collett, it is doubtful you would be able to notice an change in your cuts.
1/4 inch bits and colletts should be fine for you, we all have to start somewhere, I started off with the same.

Can you explain to me what you are routing ??