Top Banner

Follow Us

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Drum sanders

• scrit
  • scrit's Avatar Topic Author

scrit created the topic: Drum sanders

Does anyone have experience of dual drum sanders other than the Performax? I'd specifically like to know how quickly the abrasives load up, how much dust extraction they require in practice and whether they do veneered MDF without banding marks, etc.

Scrit
  • rdestler

rdestler replied the topic: Re: Drum sanders

Hi Scrit.
Well I do have a Grizzly 24" drum sander and it is not to bad putting the sandpaper on it does that about 3 to 5 min to cut and load the sandpaper.
I use a Jet dc1100 on the drum sander, it work find for the grizzly, but you have to check with the unit you are buying for what that unit calls for.
and last this is the rule on drum sanders they are for soild woods not veneer lumber. You can get wide belt sanders for sanding veneer but it will cost you lot more. you will be loking at bigger units like timesaver.
Hope this helps you.
Have Fun Keep Safe
Rick
http:www.newsouthernwoodshoppe.com
  • scrit

scrit replied the topic: Re: Drum sanders

Rick

Hi and thanks for your reply. Could you tell me why drum sanders are unsuitable for veneered stock, please?

Regards

Scrit
  • rdestler

rdestler replied the topic: Re: Drum sanders

Hi,
Most drum sanders are too aggressive for veneers, the one I have can take up to 1/64" in a 1/4 turn of the crank.
They make sander for sanding veneers, the are mastly wide belt sanders with eletrinic controls. If your looking for a sander you need to talk with the sale rep to find what sander fits your needs best. Timesavers is a good place to start. www.timesaversinc.com/
Hope this helps you.
Have Fun Keep Safe
Rick
  • scrit

scrit replied the topic: Re: Drum sanders

Rick

Thank you for your input. It helps explain what I have been trying to find out about for ages.

Scrit
  • mn2tx

mn2tx replied the topic: Re: Drum sanders

I have a performax sander. The sandpaper doesn't load up much unless I sand glue. Then what doesn't come off with an "eraser" , comes clean with a brass brush.

I hook it to a shop vac. Takes care of the dust. It MUST be hooked to a dust colector of some sort.

It is a bit slow but does a nice accurate job. I use it for sanding rings for segment turning of vessels.