Free Catalog

Follow Us

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

My First Lathe

• Travlr7

Travlr7 replied the topic: First Lathe

Great answer David. :lol:

On top of being able to try out and get feedback on different lathes, he will meet a group of people with the same interest.

"Just one OLD man lurkin' in the dust and chips." :wink:
  • David

David replied the topic: Re: My First Lathe

I would recommend that you buy a high quality small lathe, and go from there. If you buy quality you will be able to recoup most if not all of your money when you move up to a bigger machine. In your price range you can get an excellent bench top lathe that will preform on smaller work as good as the $5,000 guys. There are allot of excellent books at the public library on turning that can educate you on the basic items you will need. May I recommend any book by Richard Raffan, his straight forward approach to turning may keep you from buying unnecessary tools. :wink:
David
  • PERUTURNER

PERUTURNER replied the topic: Re: My First Lathe

DEar woodturner check my web page uner shop you can make something like it for about $500 it will take up to 24" bowls no hassle ED
<link broken> :wink:
  • chips

chips replied the topic: lathes

I am not turner ..I have done a couple of things but not good at it....a neighbor is very good and bought a harbor freight lathe...I know... :? that was my opinion too, but he really likes it, and I have to admit it is a substantial piece of equipment, he says it is exactly like the jet except for the color? The head will turn out so you can do huge bowls....just a thought....Grizzly site has some that look good to me, but again I don't know much about them. I have been thinking about the little Delta mini for 272.00 with the rebate of the extension...anyone know if they are anygood or worth messing with? thanks in advance