Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

My First Lathe

• oldgriz
  • oldgriz's Avatar Topic Author

oldgriz created the topic: My First Lathe

I am considering my first lathe... I do a lot of scrolling and want to expand my "artistic" :roll: capabilities :lol:
I don't have a bunch of money to spend and am considering the Grizzly G5979... I figure most of my initial turning will be bowls and such as I have a good supply of wood here on the farm to choose from.
Any input would be greatly appreciated... Thanks
  • David

David replied the topic: Re: My First Lathe

Oldgriz,
You know what they say about opinions...but you asked.
From personal experience and from numerous talks with our turning club members, buying a cheep new lathe will at best cause you so much frustration that you will either buy a better lathe within 6 months or give up turning all together. Your best bet is to look for a quality used lathe from someone who has upgraded, buy a smaller but higher quality unit, or save up for a good lathe. My first lathe was the Grizzly G1495. I consider it useful for small spindle work only and feel like I wasted the money it cost me. Again please keep in mind this is my opinion. Some people are so determined, they can turn wood bowls on a potter's wheel :!:
David
  • Kman

Kman replied the topic: Re: My First Lathe

Are you willing to share with us how much you want to keep your price under? I have some ideas but it depends how much you can afford.

Also, what things interest you the most in woodturning; what do you want to start out with? :?:
  • oldgriz

oldgriz replied the topic: Re: My First Lathe

I would like to keep it in the $350 range or under if I can... I am predominently interested in turning bowls...
  • David

David replied the topic: Re: My First Lathe

My recommendation would be to find a turning club in your area. Many members would be happy to let you try their lathe and many clubs have lathes for members to try. I'm afraid in that price range though you will not find a lathe suitable for bowls unless you get a great deal on a used one or build a bowl lathe yourself. :(
David
  • oldgriz

oldgriz replied the topic: Re: My First Lathe

The idea of a club is wonderful... except there aint no such thing here in the farm country of Western Maryland... the closest club is over 2 hours away and meets on weekdays....
I am going to look for a good used one... any recommendations on what to look for..