Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Text Size

Tung oil

mhwitt74 created the topic: Tung oil

Just wondering if anyone here uses or have used Tung oil for finishing wood. If so did you cut it with anything like d-Limonene?

Derek replied the topic: Tung oil

I use Tung Oil all the time for finishes and it's my favorite if I have to pick just one.

Tung oil should be cut using mineral spirits in my book. That is what I have always used and it works really well. Minwax recommends this approach for Minwax Tung oil as well. I have no idea if the product you mentioned will work. It should list a thinner on the can with most products.

I hope this helps.

Derek

mhwitt74 replied the topic: Tung oil

I have pure tung oil from the Real Milk Paint Company and it says it can be used as it is or cut with citrus oil. That's what d-Limonene is basically, the by-product of of making orange juice commercially. I am trying to use more natural ingredients. You know, go green and all.

Well, I learn something new every day and this will be mine. I'm glad you mentioned milk paint, I have to get some.

Derek

mhwitt74 replied the topic: Tung oil

I haven't used the paint yet but am looking forward to doing so. I am curious as to the end result. Have you used this before Derek?

Yes sir I have. I used it a two farm tables I made for a customer and I really liked the results. It seems to be very easy to apply and two coats really looked great.

I started on some small boxes first just to get used to it. Try on something small and see what it gives you. I think you will like it.

Derek
The following user(s) said Thank You: mhwitt74

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+