Top Banner

Free Catalog

Follow Us

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Best Way to Put a Semi-Gloss Black Finish

chaplaindoug created the topic: Best Way to Put a Semi-Gloss Black Finish

We have been asked to quote and build a round oak table finished in black semi-gloss paint. We have never used paint on furniture before (we use stain and polyurethane). What is the best way to apply a black paint finish for durability. Any suggestions on the best kind of paint to use, primer, etc.?

colin replied the topic: Best Way to Put a Semi-Gloss Black Finish

Hi Doug ... no real magic to painting. I think I would look for a Varathane, water based paint in a semi gloss black ... and that should work fine. Will probably need 3 coats, but other than that, I am not aware of any hitches you should encounter, maybe others have a better idea.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chaplaindoug

chaplaindoug replied the topic: Best Way to Put a Semi-Gloss Black Finish

Would you prime the wood before applying the black Varathane?

colin replied the topic: Best Way to Put a Semi-Gloss Black Finish

That's probably a question for the paint supplier, whether to prime or not, but unless the prime comes in very small quantities, or you already have some, I don't think it's needed. If it was on metal, then yes, but wood already has a great "tooth" to hold paint, so I don't see a lot of advantage.

Madison replied the topic: Best Way to Put a Semi-Gloss Black Finish

Here's another approach which provides a more rustic (not perfectly flat) look. This is totally water based so clean up is easy

Sand to 220
Prime if needed, if refinishing brush a coat of SealCoat to form a barrier and help further adhesion.

1 or 2 coats of milk paint (I use General Finishes, but any should work)
2 thin coats of water based poly (I've been using Varathane)

As I said this is not a piano pure flat finish, but more of a Pottery Barn look. Smoothness is controlled by sanding between coats and buffing out the final with steel wool.

Madison replied the topic: Best Way to Put a Semi-Gloss Black Finish

Oh...one more thing.

Is the Oak Red or White?

If it's Red and you want a smooth finish with paint you need to fill the pores. Red Oak has open Pores and these will show through your finish. I use Behlen Por O Pac but there are others. This stuff is great and you actually could build to a piano finish