Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Pine clock

Glen replied the topic: Pine clock

Thank You Derek. I wanted to age the Pine a little bit. I liked the Amber shellac between the stain coat & the top coats. It,, to me,, gave it just the right amount of age for today as I set in the recliner & watch it go naturally.

Thank You Colin. I appreciate your kind words as well & echo your sentiments exactly!! I really enjoy seeing what others are building as well.

Went to the lumber store today & picked up some nice curly Maple for a Grand Daughter project. This one might get the dye treatment.

Here's a better pic. It shows the true color.

Derek replied the topic: Pine clock

Looks even better in natural light Glen. You sure did a great job on it. How many hours do you think you have into this piece Glen ?

Derek
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glen

Thanks Derek!! I know I had 3 1/2hrs just in the staining. I sprayed the shellac so that wasn't but about an hour or so. I worked on it a couple hours in the evenings here & there & some on the weekends. My guess would be in the 35hr area. I also ended up with an adjustable shelf pin drilling jig that I built for the glass shelves. Probably had 2 1/2hrs in that along the way.

Derek replied the topic: Pine clock

Yes the sanding and finishing seem to take so much of our time on a project but it is so vitally important to the end result.
I have been taking stock of the time I have in the shop recently and figuring out how much time it takes to complete an item. A Butcher Block can take me up to 7 hours of "hands on" dedicated time to complete and this of course does not include every aspect of the process. It has been interesting well, to me anyway, figuring out how to best utilize and prioritize my time in the shop. If I were building your design of clock, I would have to give myself at least 40 hrs out of the gate so it's not too far off your estimated time. Time well spent in my books.
I have been trying to find the time to build another Curio Cabinet but I'm tied up with Butcher Blocks, Bandsaw Boxes,shop upgrades(that has been a biggie lately) and inlay components. I'll figure it out eventually. :blink: Take care Glen.

Derek

Hi Derek. I just go out when I feel like it. I don't make any money from it tho. I would have thought your cutting boards would be more labor intensive than 7hrs tho. They are just killer!!

The clock couldn't be easier. Just a couple frame & panel boxes with the waist being slightly decorated top & bottom. The panels were made on the table saw with a good fence jig so they were basic & straight forward enough. Probably the moldings were the most time consuming for me. I made all but the top crown. A good miter saw or table saw mitering jig makes the installation almost effortless.

I don't mind all the sanding. I sand parts as I go. Then assemble. The finish work for me is the part I could hire out. :laugh:

Take care!!

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+