Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Resawing logs into lumber

colin replied the topic: Resawing logs into lumber

Hey Rip ... I concur with everything Derek has said, and I will add, that drying logs in the round is not a good idea ... and here's why (I think I talked about this in my video, Dressing Raw Lumber), but anyway here's the deal.
A log consists of 2 kinds of wood, heartwood, which is basically dry, dead wood and, Sapwood, which is a part of the tree where sap, water and nutrients are flowing up the tree. When you cut that tree down, the sapwood is still full of water and it will want to shrink as it looses water, which means it will almost always crack because it wants to shrink around all that heartwood in the middle of the tree that has already lost most it's water and it isn't going to shrink much.
So ... always best to treat the ends, then slab it as soon as you can get it to a mill after falling to help reduce cracking.
Also as Derek points out ... slow drying is best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ripper
  • Ripper
  • Ripper's Avatar Topic Author

Ripper replied the topic: Resawing logs into lumber

Thanks guys. I have a few more pieces of the wild cherry to cut but haven't had the chance to get to them yet. Guess I need to get them cut and sealed as soon as I can. I also have about a 10' red oak log but was waiting on that until I can rig something up where I can cut longer pieces. Maybe around 6' or so.

Great information on the science behind the wood Colin. Makes sense. Knowing the how's and why's really gives you a better understanding of how to do things.

On a side note, I have been looking around researching the subject and ran across the solar kiln which seems pretty interesting. But I think I would have to get serious about making my own lumber before I invested in that. I did see one where a guy posted a video on how to wrap a stack of lumber in plastic as a very basic kiln but I am very skeptical about that one.
  • Ripper

A few more pieces. I sealed the ends with some spray enamel thinking that spraying would give better coverage and a better seal. I will stack them and see how it goes in a few months.

Oh, Colin, I watched your video on making the wooded phone case. I have to ask, what size blade is that in your bandsaw? Man, that thing looks huge!
Attachments:

colin replied the topic: Resawing logs into lumber

Hi Rip, hmm, spraying with enamel, I have not tried that but sounds like a good idea. I would think that should work just fine. If you are thinking your might be doing more of this in the future, you might want to pick up a small quantity of Anchorseal. It can be a bit hard to find, not everyone carries it but it is great stuff for sealing green end-grain wood. It has a different consistency, kind of soupy but it also contains wax so seals really well, and it does make a difference.

Yeah that blade on my big Makita is a 2" blade, the only blade you can put on that saw, but it sure does a job.

Derek replied the topic: Resawing logs into lumber

Hi Gents,

keep us in the loop on using the Acrylic Spray as an end sealer. I use latex paint myself which works exceptionally well. If I could find the anchor seal locally I would like to try both to see if there is any difference. I have also dipped the ends of a few Maple logs in melted Paraffin Wax which also works really well.

Some nice looking boards Ripper you obviously took the time to do it right so keep an eye on them as they dry. I don't recall off hand but do you have a moisture reader ?

Derek
  • Ripper

Nope Derek, no meter. I've thought about it but haven't purchase yet.

On another note, I was off work today so made a trip down to the only hardwood store to close me (about 45 minutes away). The next closest is over 4 hours. As I drooled looking at all the beautiful wood, I picked up what they had labeled as Brown Birds Eye Maple (I guess that's because it has some brown streaks in it). I'm getting braver and a little more confident so now need a good project to go with my new lumber. Not sure how brave I will actually be when it comes to the first cut on my $11.00/bf lumber though. :laugh:

Brings up another question, is $11.00/bf for brown birds eye around what you guys pay. I can't remember exactly but I did notice that regular Birds Eye was around $14.00/bf.

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+