Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Prepping rough cut wood

• Ripper
  • Ripper's Avatar Topic Author

Ripper created the topic: Prepping rough cut wood

Colin,

I am removing a wall in my shop to take in some more room so, I will be rearranging pretty much everything.... fun but, a heck of a lot of work! Anyway, I have see where some people arrange their tools in order of how they are used when prepping rough cut wood. I remembered you had a video on how to cut a straight edge on odd shaped wood (great video by the way). In it you use a circular saw and a straight edge but, in the beginning you mention that you usually use your larger band saw. So, since I am in the process of arranging my shop and have also recently been lucky enough to be able to purchase a 17" band saw, what is the process using the band saw?

Long post for a short question.. :blink:

Thanks,
Rip

colin replied the topic: Prepping rough cut wood

Hi Rip, as usual, there are different ways of prepping rough lumber, but the way I was taught, and what seems to work well most of the time is this.
1 Make one main side of the board flat
2 Using the flat side as the guide, plane the other side flat
3 Now, using either of the parallel flat sides joint one edge
4 If you are cutting board in half now (most of my wood is 8/4) you can now use the jointed edge on the table of the bandsaw, and if using a fence, one of the flat sides as a guide.

When you are done you will have 2 boards jointed on one edge and planed on one side. Now you can plane them to what thickness you want, and/or cut them on the table saw to what width you want.

Sometimes if a rough board is too long I will cut it to a more manageable length, but other than that, I do mostly the above.
Was I clear enough in my explanation ??

Hope that is what you are looking for
  • Ripper

Ripper replied the topic: Prepping rough cut wood

Hey Colin,

I understand the overall process (due in no small part to your video) but, what I was curious about was how you established the initial straight edge using your band saw. Do you attach straight edge to the wood with the straight edge extending off of one side and then run the straight edge against the fence or do you just mark a straight line down the board and use it as a guide to cut,..? I have not mastered a free hand straight cut on the band saw yet but I am hoping having a good band saw will help me with that.

Oh, while I am thinking about it, I watched your video on setting up a band saw and what I would really like to see is how you check for parallel between the blade and the miter slot and how you check to see if the table and blade are perpendicular.

Sorry I know that last one should be under another forum topic.

thanks again,
Rip

colin replied the topic: Prepping rough cut wood

Really good question ... you know what, I am going to lead off with the answer to this on my next Q&A video ... should be out on Wednesday ... I will show it on the big bandsaw too ...
  • Ripper

Sounds good. Will definitely be looking for it.

Thanks.
  • Ripper

Colin,

Thanks again for the video (applause and all... :laugh: ). But, what I am missing is how you use the band saw to establish the initial flat edge on rough cut lumber. In your “Break down or Dressing Rough Lumber” video, in the first step you clamp a straight edge to the wood and run a circular saw against it to make the cut that gives you the initial flat edge to run through the jointer. But, at the beginning of the video you say that you would normally use your 16” band saw to make that cut. My question is, how do you set it up to make that initial cut to give you the initial flat edge using the band saw?

By the way, wow, I really like the lumber you have stocked up in your shop. That is something I am hoping to be able to do myself.

Rip

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+