Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Text Size

Hi from Colombia

PhilCo created the topic: Hi from Colombia

Hi my name is Phil, for my sins I am a Brit, I retired from the Police in 2006 after 30 years, and the same day moved to property I had had in Spain for the previous 12 years, unfortunately my wife decided at the last minute that she wasn't prepared to move, so after a couple of years we divorced.

I was happy enough in Spain, my hobby was woodwork, and for a hobby woodworker I was lucky enough to have a shop, some professionals would envy, I had 150m2, and being the ground floor, even when it was 50°C outside, it was pleasant in the shop.However I was still young enough, that I didn't want to spend the rest of my life alone, but living in a mountain village of southern Spain, there was not a lot of choice, even amongst the 80 year olds with rickets, so I turned to the internet, before giving up.

I was contacted by my now wife, who was 22 years younger, I felt awkward, but she soon changed that, and after visiting, I sold up all my worldly possessions, because I couldn't afford to ship them, and in January 2012 moved here to Colombia, where we were married.

Throughout my time in the Police, woodwork was the one thing that held me together, if I had had a hard day, I would go home and have an hour or so in the workshop, it was my sanity! So saying goodbye to a lifetime of tools was hard. but it has paid off, the first two years here, we were in a rented apartment, I turned one of the bedrooms into a micro workshop, and spent my time making jigs, clamps etc. ready for the time that I knew we would have our own place, and another workshop.

Eventually we were able to buy in March 2014, and I had a workshop built, in comparison to my shop in Spain it was tiny, only being 6m x 3.5m but there is plenty of outside space, and this is where I spend my time.

Unfortunately in the last two months I have been diagnosed with cancer, I am still having tests to find out how extensive it is, I don't feel any different, and I don't feel sorry for myself, I am 58 next month, and my Dad was 46 when he went, so I have already beaten him!

Yet again Woodwork will be my lifeline, and until I know the prognosis, even though I wont admit it to family, I am a bit stressed, having my shop is the biggest destresser I can think of, along with the support of my Wife, who is being brilliant; before anyone pipes up...I am an atheist.

So when not woodworking, or writing my own Blog, you will probably find me here on a frequent basis!

I look forward to learning more from yourselves, despite being a woodworker for nearly 40 years, I am always open and willing to learn more, and help where I can.

Sorry for the elongated post!! :laugh:

Derek replied the topic: Hi from Colombia

Hi Phil and welcome aboard the forums. You will find great company here and all skill levels as well so don't be shy about answering questions others may post. We all help where we can.

Nice job on the work bench and carport. Keep yourself busy and let us know how you are doing.

Derek
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhilCo

Glen replied the topic: Hi from Colombia

Good to have you here Phil!! You have a great outlook!! And my woodworking is my sanity as well!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PhilCo

PhilCo replied the topic: Hi from Colombia

Glen wrote: Good to have you here Phil!! You have a great outlook!! And my woodworking is my sanity as well!!

Thanks Glen, you can't change your destiny, so you might as well enjoy the time you have, woodwork certainly helps in that respect!

Glen replied the topic: Hi from Colombia

Thats right!! B) B)

But I think the most enjoyable part of woodworking,, for me anyway,, is being there to help somebody whether it be a novice or a seasoned veteran. We must share our knowledge.

PhilCo replied the topic: Hi from Colombia

I agree :D, although even after 40 years I seem to spend more time learning from others!!!!

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+