Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
Text Size

Free wood I got

Cabosawman created the topic: Free wood I got

here some pictures of some of the free wood i get to do my projects ,it doesn't look pretty when I get it BUT I planned it down to clean it up , This time I got some gum wood, I alway get Cypress,some oak. I would like to Know what I can make with the gum wood, I know I can make end grain cutting boards, What other kind of wood can I used for the end grain cutting Boards and what kind can I used for the straight grain cutting boards

Derek replied the topic: Free wood I got

Hi cabosawman,

I myself make cutting boards and i must say I have never known Gum Wood being suitable for end grain blocks. Some of the most widely utilized woods are white oak, Maple, Bubinga, Purple Heart, Yellow Heart, Black Walnut, Cherry and Mahogany. There are a few more that the names escape me at the moment. All of the woods I listed are suitable for both end grain and straight grain boards.

As far as straight grain boards go, the woods that are suitable for these increases quite a bit. White Pine, Birch, Poplar and many more can be used as cutting boards for Cheese, Breads etc. You must do your own homework on any species you are considering for use in any type of board that will be in direct contact with food. Using wood that you are unsure of could really put the hurt onto a person with allergies and if you are not certain, do not use it. One last point to help you out, if the boards have been salvaged from pallets or packing crates etc, you should never use them for a cutting board. You can never know where and with what the pallets and crates may have come into contact with.

Looks like a great haul of usable lumber. I am looking forward to seeing what you put it all to use in. It's amazing what we can build from cutoffs and scrap ends. Sort the boards you know are good and make some saw dust.

Derek
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cabosawman

Cabosawman replied the topic: Free wood I got

Thank for all the info ,This is all NEW lumber Kiln dry ,what this are the cutoffs from the end bundle that is longer than the rest they just take a chain saw and cut all the boards close to the same length , some are twisted split on the ends also they are 5/4 or thicker

thanks again
Cabo

Derek replied the topic: Free wood I got

Roger that Cabo,

you have definitely won the lumber lottery. Have a good look through the posts from members and videos Colin has within the website and you will find a million ways to put your lumber to great use. Eric 422 just posted a great example of a Pizza Peel, my end grain Butcher Blocks, Glen's Jewelery boxes and Colin's Project videos all of which are great things to consider trying yourself. I hope you take some pics and post them.

Have fun Cabo.

Derek

Cabosawman replied the topic: Free wood I got

Thank Giddy Up I looking around for the pictures

Glen replied the topic: Free wood I got

Nice score Cabo!! You're gonna have as much fun figuring out what to make with that pile as you are actually making your projects!! Pictures aren't required but should be!! :evil: :evil:

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+