Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Scroll saw

• mhwitt74
  • mhwitt74's Avatar Topic Author

mhwitt74 created the topic: Scroll saw

Hey folks, I am in the market for a new scroll saw. Can anyone recommend a good one that won't break the bank? The one I currently you is an ancient Craftsman that tries to vibrate off the bench when turned on and has been around since disco was popular.

Derek replied the topic: Scroll saw

Hard to recommend a saw for you. I feel your pain on the price point to get into a high quality saw. Man, they are getting more expensive all the time. I have to pass on a really nice saw for my self right now and put my funds toward machines I really need. I love scroll work but I just don't have enough use for it.
You know, the lower price machines we can find in the big box stores do work fairly well. They just don't have all the bells and whistles and easy blade changing etc but you know that already.
All I can suggest is that you buy the best saw you can afford and enjoy yourself. Keep an eye open for used saws as well. You just might find a great machine at an affordable price.

Derek

Derek replied the topic: Scroll saw

Hard to recommend a saw for you. I feel your pain on the price point to get into a high quality saw. Man, they are getting more expensive all the time. I have to pass on a really nice saw for my self right now and put my funds toward machines I really need. I love scroll work but I just don't have enough use for it.
You know, the lower price machines we can find in the big box stores do work fairly well. They just don't have all the bells and whistles and easy blade changing etc but you know that already.
All I can suggest is that you buy the best saw you can afford and enjoy yourself. Keep an eye open for used saws as well. You just might find a great machine at an affordable price.

Derek
  • mhwitt74
  • mhwitt74's Avatar Topic Author

mhwitt74 replied the topic: Scroll saw

Thanks, I know what you mean about having to pass on good deals on machines. I haven't done much scroll work but have recently started and really enjoy it. Well as much as I can using the boat anchor I have. Will let you know what I find.

colin replied the topic: Scroll saw

A number of years ago scroll sawing was very popular in woodworking and there were a number of manufacturers making machines ... sadly the trend eased off as did the number of manufacturers. I currently have an old Delta scroll saw and it works fine, except it is a pain to change blades and it requires a large hole in order to insert blades through the wood so it's really not practical for any fine work.
In looking for any saw, I would say the most important part is seeing how quickly and easily blades attach, how bit a hole you need to drill in order to insert them. There are saws on the market, new and used that have excellent blade holding capabilities and they can be easily inserted in the tinyest of holes which makes them far more useful.

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+