Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Using a router to make small circle cuts

• mhwitt74
  • mhwitt74's Avatar Topic Author

mhwitt74 created the topic: Using a router to make small circle cuts

I'd like to know how to make circle cuts of like 3 inches or less.

colin replied the topic: Using a router to make small circle cuts

OK, when you say circle cuts, do you mean you want little 3 inch diameter circles to be cut out, like little wheels, of do you want to cut a 3 inch hole in something?
  • mhwitt74
  • mhwitt74's Avatar Topic Author

mhwitt74 replied the topic: Using a router to make small circle cuts

Both actually. But holes in the wood mostly. I am trying to make a pedestal for a figurine with a glass cover over it. I need to cut a 2.5" ring in it for the glass cover to set in.

colin replied the topic: Using a router to make small circle cuts

I also didn't ask you what you are going to be cutting, that may have some bearing too. I think for cutting holes, I would use a hole saw rather than a router. Hole saws come in almost every conceivable size and if you have a decent sizes drill to drive a bigger saw, this might be the quickest and safest.

You might even be able to cut the ring with a holes saw, but if not, I think I would try to find something on hand that you could fasten down and use as a guide for the router to run on the inside of, but his may be easier said than done.
Next would be to make a temporary circle jig for your router from some thin plywood. There are many examples online of what these look like, in your case it would just be a simple one-time jig.

Join Us On:

YouTube
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
   Pinterest
   Google+